Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mt. Airy Family History

The Haymore family (my Grandma Watkins' maiden name is Haymore) has roots in Mt. Airy, North Carolina in the 1800s. So we took advantage of how close we were and visited the family sites.

We saw the house my great great grandpa grew up in and in the trees next to it we found the family cemetary. It was quite an adventure searching for it. All dressed in our Sunday clothes (I was in heels) we weed wacked our way through the trees and brush to a little gated overgrown plot with headstones. Once we found it, we realized there was a gate on the otherside. So we weed wacked out, and this time let the guys weed wack back in through a different route to reach the gate and get some good pictures of the headstones.

It was neat to see where we came from and hear the stories from Dad. Boy am I greatful to my ancestors. It was my great great grandpa Haymore who was the first member of his family to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He joined in Mt. Airy and moved to Utah. I'm so glad he saw the truth and jumped at the opportunity and then passed it on to his posterity (me :)! Thanks family!

No comments: